The As The World Churns Family

Thursday, April 17, 2008

The bun is no longer in the oven and the chicken pot pie is goin' in!

How's that for a blog title? Well, the aforementioned "bun in the oven" is my dear friend Y's baby boy who was born yesterday - Jacob Michael (Jake). I went to the hospital today and got to change his diaper and hold him --- what a wonderful, beautiful gift from God he is. In fact, I love the quote by Charles Dickens:

"It is not a slight thing that they who are so fresh from God, love us."

Fresh from God - that is exactly what babies are. Pure heaven.



Here's a picture of the darling with one of his big sisters. Doesn't she look proud? C is one of Marie's good friends. Our families have been friends for over 10 years, so I have known C since she was 1 1/2 years old. Our neighborhood is like a village, so she is one of my village children and something special indeed. Congratulations!

---------------------------
Tommorrow when the family brings the baby home I am going to decorate the front of their house and make a meal for them. I thought I would share my favorite recipe for taking over to people. It is a hit with all ages and I make one for my family at the same time - it is a family favorite! I am going to start posting recipes on Sundays and it will be called Supper Sunday. Tell me if you enjoy them by emailing me at Txamber_schmitt@sbcglobal.net. I could also use your recipe ideas!

CHICKEN POT PIE FROM "SCRATCH"
1 pkg refrigerated pie crust - top and bottom - let thaw out well
1/3 c. butter (I didn't say it was low cal.)
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. chopped onioin
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 and 1/2 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
2-3 cups cooked chicken (I just bake the boneless skinless frozen ones and then let cool)
1 c. frozen mixed veggies (usually I stick to peas and carrots)
1-2 cups diced potatoes
(I use frozen diced hashbrowns -easy! Just warm them a little in the microwave first)

Cook chicken and let cool. Then heat oven to 425 if you are going to cook right away. Place bottom pie crust in pie pan or casserole dish (you don't have to cook it first). In large pan melt butter over medium heat, add onion and cook until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended "paste". Gradually stir in broth and milk. Cook; stirring constantly until bubbly and thickened. Add chicken, veggies, potatoes/hashbrowns and mix well. Spoon into the crust - put top layer of pie crust on over top; cut slits in several places. I like to make a family initial or write something like BABY in the top with a sharp knife for decoration.

If you are giving it away, don't cook it and attach a note with cooking instructions to the top.
--Bake it at 425 degrees for 28-38 minutes until crust is golden. I usually cover the edges of the crust with strips of foil and then take them off during the last bit of cooking.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments: