The As The World Churns Family

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Power of Selective Vision

A funny thing happens when your children get close to the age of 16. All of a sudden they start noticing cars. Anne has started to point out cars that she does not like and cars that she does like, colors she likes, colors she does not like, etc.

I have never been a big car person. I mean, if I ever was in any position of needing to identify what kind of vehicle someone was driving, it would be scary. I might possibly be able to tell you what color it was and whether is was a pick-up, SUV, mini van or sedan. Beyond that, I highly doubt if I could even begin to guess at the make or model. Just not my cup of tea, really.

Lately, though, that has changed. There is one car that I have FALLEN IN LOVE WITH. I drove up next to this beautiful, shimmering Lexus SUV in a beautiful pearly cream color and WOW - cupid's arrow struck me right in the heart. What a babe. Not the guy in it (at least I think it was a guy). The car!

After that babe sighting, this funny thing happened and all of a sudden I was seeing Lexus' EVERYWHERE. Lately it feels like 50% of the cars on the road are Lexus SUV's. Amazing, because I don't recall ever noticing a Lexus car before a few days ago. Not a one. Now they are everywhere! Maybe there was a half-off sale somewhere - ya think?

Anyhow, the point of this story is that once I put my focus on something, it seems to increase 10 fold. I won't be getting a Lexus SUV anytime soon (but I did go buy a lottery ticket today, just in case). However, it occurred to me that I might put this superpower to work. I decided to put my super selective vision skills to work today.

I decided to focus on how many people smile at me in a single day. I mean really smile - even with their eyes. It was amazing! When I decided to look out into the world and search for something, it increased 10-fold again! Pretty much everyone I encountered gave a warm smile and most even said "have a good day!" It made for a very happy day:)

Give it a try, it is amazing! Just be careful to focus on something you want to see alot of. When I noticed one pile of dog poop in the front yard, I started seeing THEM everywhere. I know there weren't that many yesterday - my superpowers have morphed to EVIL!

Happy Valentines Day - have fun with your SUPERPOWER abilities!

No comments: