The As The World Churns Family

Monday, February 11, 2008

My Baby Girl is Growing Up!







This last weekend Marie attended her Cotillion Ball at the Country Club. She looked really beautiful in her sparkly green dress with her hair all done up.

Above are some pictures of Marie, the group of kids from our neighborhood who went, and a funny one of the boys hiding behind the food table at the pre-party.

Cotillion is a "a program that gives 6th, 7th and 8th grade boys and girls instruction in social skills that build confidence and self-assurance." She has been learning how to fox trot, waltz, and cha-cha, among other dances. They also "learn courtesies connected with dancing, etiquette like shaking hands, introduction, table manners, telephone etiquette, thank you notes, answering invitations, polite conversation and other areas of social behavior that build poise and confidence."

In other words, our little girl is becoming a little lady!

It seems like only yesterday that I wrote the following poem about my infant daughter Marie:

Marie in the Early Morning
Awakened from my deep slumber,
I realize it's you,
Not a distant cry in my dream.

And I rise to feel the sharp coolness
of the night
On my bed-warmed skin.

Light glows gently across
your pink baby room
of bunnies and bears.

There you are--blonde, peach-fuzzy
head
Pushing up on wobbly arms to peer
Over the soft pink crib bumper.

Big blue eyes wide awake,
waiting expectantly.
My heart leaps to see you smile,
my weariness dissolves
Into joy.

A bright start to a new day,
Just you and me
Early in the morning.

No comments: