The As The World Churns Family

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Count Your Blessings





Do you want to feel really grateful for the life you lead - problems and all? Go volunteer at a Soup Kitchen! So many of the philanthropic efforts that my family does are far removed from the people who are actually affected. We sort cans out behind the Food Bank, or we write a check or buy a raffle ticket. Also, our lives are so homogenized. We are generally around people who have similar social and economic situations as we do.

This is especially true where we live in Texas. We are part of a large subdivision that my husband likes to call "the bubble". It is a great place to raise kids because it is very safe and close-knit.... but it is a little bit like "Leave it to Beaver"-Land. Not alot of diversity.

So anywhooo.... on Good Friday the kids had the day off of school and for the second time this school year, we took the Girl Scouts to prepare and serve the food at the Soup Kitchen at the Austin Baptist Chapel. They ladled food into containers, set up and later washed the serving trays, took tickets, etc.

I sat at the door with my new friend Juan Jose (pictured). We made sure that when people came in they only got one ticket - lots of people try for two. We also helped the handicapped get their trays, greeted guests and said good-bye as they left.




Juan had a message as they left. The message on this day was "Those who lead a right life will have a bright future". One guy was pretty witty when he said, "Well, I guess I don't need my shades then."

Both times we have helped out we have seen the usual druggies and homeless people... but there are also clean-cut people who come in with their hard-hats or their employment badges on. They are hard working and take pride in their appearance, but just can't make a decent living. There have also been a few children - that is really heartbreaking. One little boy and his mother came in at the end of the time frame and most of the food had run out. On his tray was apple juice, a frzen (plain) yogurt cup and soup. He and his mom looked physically put together, but emotionally exhausted.
They ate in silence, heads down. I tell you, my heart breaks every time I think of it.

There was also a 10 month old baby named Omara. What a cutie!!!! I got to hold him while his Grandma (she looked about 30) ate her lunch.

It is sad to my soul to be there. But it gives me some consolation to know that I helped out in some little way, even if all it was was looking someone in the eye, shaking their hand and smiling.


It may be the only meal they get all day. It also may be the only smile they get all day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



My Pal Juan Jose. He and I were dining room greeters----->

No comments: