The As The World Churns Family

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Great Teachers Change Lives!

School ended for us last Friday. As the kids said goodbye to all of their teachers, I think their thoughts were racing ahead to summer activities more than to gratitude.

They may not have gratitude now, but hopefully someday they will.

Personally, I have lots of gratitude for the teachers my children have had.

So far we have been really blessed in that I think my kids are getting a great education. Our school system allows for relatively small classroom sizes, physical education, music, fine arts and extracurricular activities. Of course there have been a few duds in there, but for the most part I am absolutely amazed at the dedication, enthusiasm and passion that teachers have brought to the table. They have helped Bo and I to raise our children!

I know the power of a teacher. My very favorite teacher shaped who I am to this day. Mr. Dan Mortlock. He taught me sophomore and then AP senior English. But he taught a lot about life as well.

I remember the time he came into class and gave this powerful lecture on why we should not believe in something (it might have been God or perhaps it was some political policy. I don't remember what is was, but he spoke very convincingly and had everyone going along with him.) As his students, we were just sitting there nodding our heads yes as he made one good point after another to support his cause. He was a very good public speaker!

The next day he walked into class and absolutely read us the riot act on how malleable we were, how weak that we couldn't think for ourselves! I mean he ripped us a new one for not questioning his stand! It was a powerful lesson: question things. Stand up for what YOU believe in, not what someone else tells you to believe in! Between sophomore English and again as a senior in AP English, Mr. Mortlock gave one life lesson after another about gratitude, existentialism, about civil rights, about enjoying the simple things, about poetry, about being your authentic self, about "thirsting for knowledge", about surrounding yourself with excellence and many other things.

He thought I was smart and I actually believed him! He always told me that he thought that I would achieve great things in my life and I believed him!

A poem that I have memorized from my time with Mr. Mortlock:

The Red Wheelbarrow
William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

to me this poem seems silly at first, but says a lot about appreciating the little things in life and how every day things are a blessing.

As well as learning about many famous authors, Mr. Mortlock brought out our abilities to create literature/ poetry:

Somewhere in Between
by "Ellis"

In all our veracity
we independently seek
to purify this venture
that is now at its peak.

A leaden tint,
not dove,
not crow.

But
better blush
than colorless
we're somewhere in between.

The poem (to me) was about how sometimes relationships can be a little "muddy" - at the time it was about my relationship with a boyfriend who had gone off to college while I was still in high school.

Dan's "stamp of approval" was huge. Being a blond, cheerleader-ish valley girl type in high school, it may have seemed like I was fully self-confident. But what teenager really is? It's a tough time and Mr. Mortlock gave me faith in myself.

So this blog is dedicated to Mr. Mortlock and all the teachers like him who change a student in some way--whether by igniting a love of learning, increasing self-esteem, or just being a supportive and encouraging cheerleader for the student.

Thank you to all the great teachers that my kids have had and to all of my own wonderful teachers, especially you Mr. Mortlock!

Thirst for Knowledge!!!!!

1 comment:

Jason Durall said...

My apologies if this seems weird, but I was searching for "Dan Mortlock" via Google and got this blog entry. The reason I was looking was that Mr. Mortlock just emailed me out of the blue this morning, after I hadn't heard from him for almost two decades.

I was a student of Mr. Mortlock's in Hermiston, Oregon from 1981-1985. (If that's the one you meant - I'm not sure how many others are big William Carlos Williams fans.) He was just as inspirational to me as to you.

The weird thing is that I'm also living in central Texas (my wife, daughter, and I are in Austin).

Small world.